Wow! Today was National Left-handers Day and yesterday it was National Middle child Day, which told me two things- this is definitely my week, and that there are too many random national days that don't really mean anything to anyone!
Did you know there will also be a National Tooth Fairy Day and a National Waffle Day this month? I hear ya, you were with me until I started on the Waffle Day celebrations right?
But seriously, it got me thinking who makes these up and who gets to decide what qualifies to go on the calendar? And if I have to share my birthday with a bunch of comic nerds celebrating National Comic Book Day what doesn't make the cut if anything?!
So in true journo form, I went on the hunt for the answer to these questions. And after much searching (typing 'Who can authorise a national day' into Google) I found out that anyone can! You just have to make an application, citing the details of your desired national day and if approved, by the National Calendar Guardians, the day goes onto a National Day register!
So after being consumed by this subject for more than 2 hours- which is saying something, (probably says more about me than anything) I decided to compile a list of my top ten.
10. Sept 4- Hug your Boss Day- I dare ya not to tell them
9. Sept 22- Elephant Appreciation Day- How do you execute this exactly- the appreciation not the Elephant!
8. August 10- Lazy Day
7. 23 October- National TV Talk Host Day
6. 6 November- National Nachos Day- naturally some of these will be food related- you get where my heads at
5. 19 January - National Popcorn Day- I already warned you!
4. 11 February National Make a Friend Day- awww
3. 5 March- National Multiple Personalities Day- For some of us that's everyday!
2. 14 May- National Dance like a chicken Day- Again- For some of us that's everyday!
1. 20 June- Social Media Day
Tweet me your faves!